Understand Personality Type One
- it could be you (or someone you know)
The One Personality is running toward perfection, cleanliness, principles and righteousness as a way to be happy. They run from being bad or being wrong, imperfection and mess.
Scroll down and you'll find . . .
On this page you'll find a variety of tools to help you understand the One personality. Cartoons, animations, videos of interviews, illustrations from an enneagram novel, a questionnaire and links . . . .
But first I want you to know . . . who we are beneath our personalities is free, peaceful intelligence. When I describe a personality I'm referring to the momentary reactions or patterns of behaviour that we sometimes mistake for our entire selves.
These personalities are like temporary trances that are sometimes appropriate and sometimes not. I like to think that when we know about these patterns we have greater choices over our decisions and perceptions. Then we are free to act them out or not.
Browse through the cartoons then watch the videos below and see if they describe someone not unlike yourself.
When you're done, check out the characters from the enneagram novel Spellbind illustrated below and answer the questionnaire. What if your enneagram type was a bird spirit haunting you? Wouldn't you want to know its influence upon you and be free?
Do you love precision, principles, accuracy and being right? Then this personality type could be you.
The One Personality distorts one's perception so that the person sees themselves as imperfect. It doesn't stop there. They see others and the world as imperfect as well. Arming themselves with principles, rules and cleaning products are only some of the ways they try to fix the imperfection.
You can tell if someone has the One type of personality because their talking style is preaching. Since they're seeing what's wrong with you (rather than how you are) they feel the need to point out what you should do to correct yourself.
This personality manifests as an hallucination in their head of a judge or a god or a parent who's judging and criticizing their every action as either good or bad. The person becomes a slave to this judge but it's difficult pleasing a recurring figment of the imagination.
Want more cartoons from Lifting the Veils of Illusion? Click here.
Watch the video -
This wonderful group allowed themselves to be filmed while sharing the particular up-tightness peculiar to the One and the unconscious habit of seeing what's wrong wherever they look.How lucky to find a group (including a relative) willing to expose the rigid patterns of anger, the desire for perfection and the attempts to relax with alcohol with such humor and honesty.
This is one funny clip.
It's also an inspiring video to watch as we see the rigid personality melt when the One behaviors are dropped and people can just be themselves.
I've made the background for this clip yellow with lights to represent the purity of the one fixation.
I've made animations at the beginning of each introduction to the 9 types. It shows what each type is running from and what they are striving for. I have placed her on the treadmill to show how this pattern is an endless cycle that gets us nowhere.
I believe that the point of the Enneagram is to show us that we can get off this treadmill.
Enneagram/NLP/Power of Now Novel
Watch the film trailer
I've used the metaphor of a hawk spirit to represent the one personality type
by Clare Cherikoff (enneagram novel for children and adults)
For the One Personality type I chose a hawk.
- sharp eyed, can see precisely what is wrong and strives for perfection. (Really hates mess.)
Need to know some background on Spellbind?
The main character
Max Quigley considers herself a complete dud for a magus (magus, magi and magician, are akin to a wizard, a person with magical powers and pronounced maygus, mayj-eye and mayjien). She can't seem to cast spells or counteract them. She does have unusual powers and she can see bird spirits mysteriously attached to everyone. A remarkable number of magi want Max dead. She has an owl spirit - five personality type.
At the age of 12 every child receives a needle upon which a tattoo of a bird appears on their rump . . .
In Spellbind magi with the hawk spirit have descended from the high priest and priestesses of old
Typical rump of a 12 year old with the hawk spirit
Spotting the early signs -
- they'll have such a good temperament you'll suspect they have a halo
- may already be frowning at a young age
- preaches in a frightfully polite way
- unnaturally neat and tidy
- clean clothes (not a single stain!)
Fair and honest
Talent for cleanliness
Wicked sarcastic sense of humour
Exceptionally good with detail and discipline
Hawk spell to watch out for:
The spell causes its magi to feel unnecessarily tense about being wrong and determined to be perfect. The Hawk spirit makes the magi preach to and punish both themselves and others.
Free from the spell:
They feel happy and relaxed with who they are. They accept that the world and everyone in it is perfectly imperfect.
Do you have the Hawk spirit?
1. Are you very good, do well at school and know you are disciplined? ___
2. Do you have an innate sense of right and wrong?___
3. Are you doing your best to be perfect?___
4. Do you feel irritable?___
5. Are you hard on yourself? ___
6. If you are not perfect do you feel cross?___
7. Do others' imperfections annoy you?___
8. Is your hair naturally neat and perfect?___
9. Are you so good and strict with yourself that to let off steam you are sometimes bad?___
10. Do you go to inordinate lengths to be faultless?___
11. Are you fair minded?___
12. Do you hate disorder and like accuracy?___
13. Are you polite?___
14. Do you live by principles?___
15. Do you judge yourself and others?___
16. Are you disciplined?___
17. Do you control your anger?___
18. Are you self controlled?___
19. Do you tend to moralise and teach when you speak?___
20. Do you hate being wrong or bad?___
21. Do you feel rules are appropriate?___
Does your mum or dad have a Hawk spirit?
1. Do they see you as grubby even though you've just had a bath?___
2. When they speak do they often sound like they are preaching?___
3. Do they frown regularly?___
4. Do they often use words like 'should', 'shouldn't', 'ought', 'ought not', 'must', 'must not'?___
5. Do they like things neat and tidy?___
6. Do they correct you incessantly?___
7. Do they want you to be neat and tidy?___
8. Do they become cranky if the lawns aren't mown or a sentence is grammatically incorrect?___
9. Are they fair but strict?___
10. Are they kind but have a peculiar preference for everything to be spic and span?__
If you answered yes to most of the above your parent just may have a hawk spirit. Word of warning - they really can't help it when they preach and moralise and correct you even when you're perfect.
Frank martin - main character in Transporter (a stickler for cleanliness and rules)
James Bond (can fight without wrinkling his suit)
Mary Poppins (keeps everything spic and span)
Professor McGonagall (strict with rules)
Alfred (Batman's butler)
Bert in Sesame Street
Upper crust Englishman
John Lennon banging on about peace
David Stratton from At the Movies (he comes across as pedantic but witty like so many with this personality type)
Hugh Laurie in House
Margaret Thatcher (such stiff hair!)
Delia Smith (English celebrity chef who is ever so clean)
Sir John Geilgud
Gandhi (lived by and preached his principles)
Bob Brown (Australian politician) and not dissimilar to Al Gore. Both of them are rather stiff in the body and preach about the environment.
Often thin and stiff in body
Tight lipped or has thin lips
Prone to frowning
Neat - unless they are messy on principle - a bit like Sir Bob Geldof
Some of the characters in Spellbind with a hawk spirit-
(Max's twin) who is often times a complete prat. (A prat is an annoying pillock . . . . er idiot.) He's completely peeved when his mothers spell lands him in the toilet.
Councilor Dimworth's nostrils flared as if he'd just smelt something objectionable. (He's under the impression Max is diseased and he wants her contained.)
Deputy Warden Slyrot
She is a towering and terrifying figure who wants Max dead.